Lofty Heights... 'Ohhh Bobby Zamooooora!!!'

A look at Queens Park Rangers F.C. through the eyes of the fans - follow us on twitter @loftyheights70, @LoftyQPR and @qprleeroy

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A 'Handy' Win for the Blades...

Sheffield United 2-1 QPR

Rangers slipped to a narrow defeat at Bramall Lane, in a game where some awful refereeing and two fantastic saves, ultimately led to the outcome. Although not both the saves were from the goalkeeper in a proverbial game of two halves...


Despite being held up by an aaccident on the M1, we arrived in Sheffield in plenty of time. Myself and PK also welcomed Corp back to the away day fold and it was his influence that led to us enjoying our pre match drink and eats in the excellent Hellena sandwich and deli bar, rather than finding the normal, suitable public house.

So it was from there onto the ground, where a very healthy away following, saw Rangers take a deserved lead going into the break. Patrick Agyemang fired home from close range on the stroke of half time, following good work from Connolly on the right. Previous to this, Buzsaky had tested Paddy Kenny a couple of times - one notably from a vicious free kick that was brilliantly saved by the Blades keeper.


The mood around the Rangers end was naturally upbeat during the break, but we all knew that the home side would come at us in the second half - and come at us they did. Yet another own goal saw the Blades level on 64 minutes. A dubious looking corner saw the ball fall to Tonge, who forced a fine save from Lee Camp. Unfortunately, in the melee that followed, Rowlands attempt to clear cannoned off Damion Stewart and flew into the back off the net.

Five minutes later, and the Blades were ahead - the referee waved away a certain foul on Buzsaky on the edge of the box and United broke away at pace. Hendrie and Connolly wrestled in the box, Hendrie got to his feet first before firing home. Two further attempts from Rob Hulse should have made the game safe, but in the 91st minute, the ref hammered the final nail in the Rangers coffin. Buzsaky's stunning volley was brilliantly saved on the line - but not by Paddy Kenny, but Matt Kilgallon, who clearly used a hand to palm the ball away.


The R's players lengthy protests fell on deaf ears but the fact that Kilgallon was walking away from the scene of the crime, grinning and laughing, spoke volumes.

QPR: Camp, Barker (Blackstock 74), Mahon, Stewart, Buzsaky, Rowlands, Connolly, Agyemang, Lee, Vine, Hall. Subs: Bolder, Ainsworth, Walton, Ephraim.

Lofty's Man of the Match - Akos Buzsaky

So, yet another disappointing defeat after so much promise from the first half performance, but the second half tactics were all wrong. We survived the first ten minutes but then after simply gifting them a goal, down went the heads and the substitution to bring on a second striker was the wrong one - as it moved Buzsaky out of the midfield to the left hand side and from there, we had no answers. Also, did anyone else spot that Agyemang played most of the second half injured??

On a brighter note, the LH betting syndicate made a winning return, with Agyemang, first scorer at 8/1! :-)


  • At 1:32 pm, Blogger bobo said…

    The new look Rs seem to be getting the same old treatment from the officials. Good to see Agyemang getting one right away for the Hoops (and even better that you made some money of it Lofty) but I was absolutely sure the Rs were coming home with a win.

    Thanks for the great photos.


  • At 1:45 pm, Anonymous Foxy said…

    I've watched the highlights back 10+ times and still can't make my mind up if its handball. It certainly wasn't clear!

    I had a feeling it was handball at the game, because his hand did seem to creep up towards the ball, but I wasn't 100% sure he ever made contact with anything but his head.

    I have the benefit of watching it back, but genuinely cannot decide if it was or wasnt. If the officials aren't 100% sure at the time then they can't give it.

    The only thing the referee was consistant in is that he was poor.

    Could (and probably should) have quite easily stopped the game for Rob Hulses head injury in the lead up to your goal and Billy Sharp looks a lot closer to the last man on the replay than he did live. quite easily could have been onside!

    Not a bad match really, good luck for the rest of the season.

  • At 6:20 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    Thanks Foxy, always good to see the opposition come on and make a comment :-). You are quite right in all the points you made about the referee though and I could ramble on further that Kilgallon has since admitted his wrong doing, but hey, the result wont change now!!

    Good luck for the rest of the season, you have a decent looking squad there, shame I cant say the same about your manager ;-)

    Bobo - thanks again mate, and yes, at half time, I would have said the points were in the bag. I was one of the minority (I think) that welcomed Agyemang with open arms and I was delighted for him. My wallet was pretty pleased too ;-)

  • At 12:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    watched it a dozen or more times..and like the previous guy says..its not clear so for me the ref was sharps goal wasnt offside so in the end 2-1 seemed about right...

    think your looking good for next season....


Post a Comment

<< Home