Lofty Heights... 'Ohhh Bobby Zamooooora!!!'

A look at Queens Park Rangers F.C. through the eyes of the fans - follow us on twitter @loftyheights70, @LoftyQPR and @qprleeroy








Saturday, January 03, 2009

QPR To Face A Night On The Claret


QPR 0-0 Burnley

QPR are in the hat for the F.A.Cup Fourth Round Draw, but first, face a tough looking replay at Turf Moor as the two sides played out, what was by all acounts, a dire 0-0 draw at Loftus Road this afternoon. New signing, Wayne Routledge was paraded to the crowd before kick off...


Photobucket

I wasn't at the game today and it was very deliberate. In fact, out of the 11 of the gang that regularly go to games, only one 'may' have attended. I can't speak for the rest of the gang, but for myself and PK, it was a matter of principle of why we decided not to go. With many clubs having a ticket promotion for their third round ties, QPR excelled themselves once again by doing the same. I am being sarcastic of course and as they stated, were 'delighted' to offer a massive £5 off from the normal match day prices. For me, this was insulting. Just after Christmas, a £15 or so ticket offer would have got a few more bums on seats for sure - for what was hardly, with due respect to Burnley, a glamour tie. For the league match, 13,226 was the attendance and with the fiver off, today, with Season Tickets not valid, the fixture pulled in just 8,896!! Whether or not me or the gang could afford to go today is beside the point, it was and indeed is, a matter of principle. Obviously, we were not the only ones...

After the considerable increase in Season Ticket prices, this was a MASSIVE opportunity for the club to let the fans see a match in the World's most famous cup competition at a reasonable price and do something that hasn't happened at Loftus Road so far this season - fill the Stadium.

Anyway, that's quite enough of me ranting and I will move swiftly on to posting the brief match report from the BBC, of which if it goes by any of the texts from friends I have received since the final whistle, it probably sums the game up perfectly...


QPR and Burnley fought out a drab draw in their FA Cup third round tie.

Photobucket

The home side, who are without a win in this competition since 2001, failed to make the most of three early chances.

Brian Jensen denied Samuel Di Carmine, Wade Elliot volleyed against the bar from 25 yards and Mikele Leigertwood miscued when well placed.

After the break, Chris Eagles ran clear for Burnley but could not keep the ball in play as he tried to round QPR keeper Radek Cerny.

The replay will take place at Turf Moor on Tuesday, 13 January.


QPR: Cerny, Delaney, Stewart, G. Mahon (Ephraim 61), Leigertwood, Blackstock, Gorkss, Rowlands, Ramage, Cook (Ledesma 46), Di Carmine (Agyemang 72). Subs: Cole, Connolly, Alberti, Oastler.


Normal service will be resumed next week as QPR welcome Coventry to Loftus Road.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, a matter of principle is more important than supporting your team. Explain.
    As it goes I agree that they should have reduced the tickets to £15 (assuming Burnley agreed) but it seems the commercial arm of the club doesn't look at things from the most obvious angles. And finally you made a good decision regarding the game. It was dire. Only slightly better than the Watford game last Sunday but I couldn't tell you why it was better!

     
  • At 10:15 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    I so wish anonymous posters would leave a name, especially when they are having a pop?

    And YES, I do think principles are more important, else where will it end? Maybe, after the poor turnout, the club may think twice in future when pricing such games. Anyway, I decided not to go soon after the ticket prices were announced, basically, because again, I think they should have tried to do more for the supporters. I could have gone to the game if I had chosen too, but I chose not to do so and it looks like a lot of people did the same. The 4/5000 missing that were there for the league fixture, may have been tempted had the club been sensible?
    As a home and away season ticket holder for many seasons, I cannot accept nor tolerate the comment about supporting my team though. I, like you, am a supporter in my own right and whichever way I support my team is my choice.

    I may not have been able to afford to go to the game today and said as much and I guess I wouldn't have got your comment, however, I was honest.

    Thanks for the comment!

     
  • At 11:09 am, Blogger toddy1 said…

    I,along with my son, daughter in law and two grandchildren were among the 5000 plus who didnt attend the match ON A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE. Another reason why I didnt watch the match is because I think QPR are now an average team who produce an average performance each week....I want to see more goals and a sharper defence...its as simple as that.

     
  • At 6:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good luck to you lofty,looks like you,me and the 5000 made the right choice,theres more to life then getting ripped off by the club you have supported for 40years,,
    mr anonymous,are you a season ticket holder,away s/t holder,or just when you feel like it kinda fan

     
  • At 3:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lofty. Please dont take the comment about principles personally. I am sorry if it came over badly. In the second half on Saturday I did seriously question why I had driven from Southend to watch the poor fare that was being served up. I am just interested when supporters get so p*ssed off that they decide not to go to a game because of something that has finally broken the proverbial camel's back. You, me and all others are quite rightly fed up with the quality of football we have seen in the past few games. I am a season ticket holder and was none too chuffed at the ridiculous 50% hike in price for my ticket in the Upper Loft so I do understand why people have voted with their feet. If the Club do not find out why the attendance was so poor and respond to this then the Commercial Dept, if it is they who make these decsions, should be sacked. It doesn't take a genius to work out that 1. its just after Christmas, 2. that Burnley have a slightly more important game on Tuesday and that 3. the cup game is an additional cost on top of the season ticket. Why not drop the price to £15 for adults or do the family ticket thing again which seemed to work well.
    So once again definitely not having a go at those who stayed away. I think we are all feeling the pain at the moment. PS However it is better than West Brom and Colchester away last season it just doesnt match the inflated expectations of a lot of us. Best regards

     
  • At 7:17 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks for coming back anon, appreciated. I have no problem with anyone commenting what they like on here, but if I don't agree, I will say so and again, leave myself open for debate, but I guess that's what it's all about.
    Myself personally, just thought it was about time to make a stand and not continue to tolerate some of the boards decisions which are basically, greedy!

    Let's not forget, only the FA's intervention stopped them hiking the prices up even more with the season just 3 weeks old!!

    The attendance of just under 9,000 spoke volumes and I need not say any more on the subject. I just hope the board have now sat down and thought that they may, just may, have blundered on this one??

     
  • At 10:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lofty. My name is Terry and I sit in Upper Loft P Block. The main thing that comes out of this discussion is that we all care about our club and that we dont want to see it change beyond all recognition and lose the community feel that the club has had for many decades. However, now that we have been rescued by the 'Money' we will have to be prepared for major changes as the Board strive for the Promised Land of the Premiership. Unfortunately it seems supporters have a choice, remain a local club with low expectations, survive based on local support and low costs or strive for the Prem with major investors who are hard nosed business men who, as we know, would prefer not to use their own money unless it is secured against the assets of the Club. (Can't say I blame them especially in the current economic climate). Anyway, good to talk, we all have Rangers best interests at heart and to those who responded to my comment, once again I was not disrespecting our right to decide how we want to spend our money or demonstrate to the club that price rises have gone too far. Let's hope that in a few years time we are moaning about the cost of trips to Madrid and Barcelona!!!

     
  • At 4:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Private Note. Keep up the great work with the site.

     
  • At 9:48 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    Cheers Terry, thanks for you comments, it was good of you to come back and elaborate! - you are always welcome here on LH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home